Folkestone Sea Sauna - Membership Agreement
These rules have been designed to help everyone enjoy the sauna responsibly. Please make sure you read these rules and understand them before you sign up.
We are Folkestone Sea Sauna, a volunteer community group providing a permanent community sauna on a membership basis.
We run the sauna on behalf of Folkestone Rowing Club and the sauna is based at Folkestone Rowing Club, Parade Road, Sandgate, Folkestone CT20 3AL.
We can be contacted on using the form on the Contact us page.
The Folkestone Sea Sauna is a community space for all and we aim to promote a friendly, positive and inclusive atmosphere.
This Membership Agreement provides a framework of rules and safety guidance to ensure all of our members have a positive and safe experience. We expect our members to look after the sauna and each other.
- The sauna is open to members only – you must not bring additional guests (or pets) into the sauna.
- You must be 18 or over to be a member.
- You must wear your membership wristband visibly at all times. You must inform Folkestone Sea Sauna immediately if you lose your wristband.
- You will follow all health & safety guidance set out in this Agreement and displayed at the sauna.
- You will comply with any instructions issued by committee members, staff or volunteers of Folkestone Sea Sauna or Folkestone Rowing Club from time to time.
- The following are not permitted in the sauna: the consumption of food or alcohol; the smoking of cigarettes or e-cigarettes; the use of oils, lotions and aerosols; face or body shaving; glass or ceramic containers; flammable materials (such as books, magazines, newspapers).
- You will not use the sauna whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The sauna has a maximum capacity of 12 persons – you will not enter if this capacity will be exceeded.
- Folkestone Sea Sauna and Folkestone Rowing Club accept no liability for loss, theft or damage to your personal possessions – please do not leave any valuables unattended.
- You will leave the sauna in a clean and tidy condition, please take any rubbish home.
- You will immediately report anything damaged, broken or in poor condition at the sauna or any accident or “near-miss” incident: Contact us
- You will behave in a respectful, cooperative and considerate manner towards other members and the staff and volunteers of Folkestone Sea Sauna and Folkestone Rowing Club. Anti-social, disruptive or inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated.
- Folkestone Sea Sauna reserves the right (at its sole discretion) to revoke your membership (without refund of subscription) at any time and without notice if you fail to comply with any aspect of this Membership Agreement.
- Access to the sauna is subject to you having a live membership of Folkestone Sea Sauna and being up to date with all membership subscription payments due. Folkestone Sea Sauna reserves the right to adjust subscription rates.
- Folkestone Sea Sauna will keep members informed of regular opening hours, but reserves the right, and any time and without notice, to close or suspend access to the sauna (for example, for emergency maintenance or repair) or to change or adjust published opening hours.
- You acknowledge the use of CCTV at the entrance to the sauna for safety and security reasons. It is not used for constant surveillance.
- You consent to Folkestone Sea Sauna and Folkestone Rowing Club storing and processing your personal data, for the purpose of maintaining your membership record, in accordance with the Privacy Notice available at www.folkestonerowingclub.com.
- Never swim alone in the sea in winter – please look out for other swimmers.
- Exercise caution when standing up and moving around in the sauna. Do not lean on the safety guard surrounding the stove.
- Be sensible with water in the sauna – use the ladle and never pour directly from the bucket.
- Prolonged use of the sauna is not recommended due to fatiguing effects – limit yourself to a maximum of 20 minutes.
- Leave the sauna immediately if you experience any nausea, dizziness, hot flushes, cold chills, headaches or other discomfort.
- Drink plenty of fluids before and after leaving the sauna.
- If something doesn’t look or feel right or makes you feel uncomfortable, please report it immediately: Contact us
- There is a first aid box situated in the changing room. Please report if you take anything from it so that we can top it up.
- In an emergency dial 999, keep calm and do exactly as you are told.
- The nearest defibrillator to the sauna is on the beach front at the Boat House café, Granville Parade, Sandgate (NOTE you will need a phone to dial 999 to access it).
- Please keep the changing room tidy by putting your clothes in a small pile to make room for others.
- Please keep your swimming costume on when using the sauna.
- Please keep the doors closed to preserve the heat.
- Be considerate towards each other. Be aware of others and keep noise to a minimum.
- Put your mobile phone on silent and have phone conversations outside.
- Do not take photos, videos or voice recordings of other members in the sauna without their prior consent.
- Always sit on a towel.
- Get consent from others before ladling water on the sauna.
I confirm that I will consult my GP prior to using the sauna if I suffer from any pre-existing medical condition, including (but not limited to) heart disease, cardiac irregularities, asthma, diabetes, high or low blood pressure, circulatory or respiratory problems, seizures or epilepsy, or if I am pregnant, or if I am unsure whether any pre-existing or new medical condition may be exacerbated by use of a sauna.
I understand that it may be dangerous to use the sauna while under the influence of any type of alcohol, drugs, anticoagulants, antihistamines, beta-blockers, vasoconstrictor, vasodilators, stimulants, hypnotics, narcotics or tranquillisers.
I understand that it is my responsibility to read, understand and comply with the rules and guidance contained in this Membership Agreement. To the fullest extent permitted by law, I acknowledge that Folkestone Sea Sauna and Folkestone Rowing Club accept no liability whatsoever for any loss, injury or third party claim to the extent that I have failed to comply with its terms or for any loss or injury due to my own negligent or wrongful acts or omissions.
What to bring
- Your personal wristband.
- Two towels, one to sit on and one for drying.
- A bottle of water.
- Your smile.